10 Facts you NEED to know about Phyllis. Number three has me shook.

Hello I'm Phyllis! I'm an artist, youth worker, graduate student and activist.  Here are some fun facts! 


One time I cried at a hot dog parade because it was such a beautiful moment of community joy.  





As a child years earlier, I fell off a parade float and local celebrity Salty Brine ran up to me to see if I was okay. 




I've also fallen into quicksand not once, but TWICE.  And I wasn't in some faraway land, either. I was in New England both times. 





But maybe that's because my dog has traveled farther in an airplane than I have.

Though I once I visited a pub in Scotland and the elderly bartender wearing an eyepatch angrily insisted I leave. I'm still not sure what I did wrong or if he was joking.
 



I was also in Scotland when my husband and I both saw the ghost of Bloody George MacKenzie near his mausoleum at Greyfriars Kirkyard, and it chased us away. 




We also got chased out of a haunted forest while we were on a hike, then tailed for miles by who we think were the feds? But that was local. 




I'm a third generation Rhode Islander, but my grandmother's family were proper pioneers. My great-grandma was born premature, on the prairie, and they tucked her into bread pan and put her in a low oven to keep her alive.  




I was named after my grandmother Phyllis, who had a purple birthmark covering her entire right leg that she called "God's tattoo." We were very close. 

My middle name is Shirley, for my other grandmother. Interestingly, Phyllis means "green branch" while Shirley means "green field." No wonder I really love gardening! 

Comments

Popular Posts